This is a classic favourite chicken marinade, ideal for barbequing. However, using your kitchen’s grill will be just as good. The use of yoghurt is common in India cooking; a prime reason they are renown for fantastic chicken marinades.
- 750g/ 1 and a half pounds of chicken breasts
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2.5cm/ 1 inch piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml/ quarter pint natural yoghurt
- 1-2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Half teaspoon turmeric
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chop the chicken breasts into 2.5cm/ 1 inch cubes
- Place the remaining ingredients (not the chicken) in a food processor and blend until smooth, in order to make the chicken marinade.
- Place the chicken cubes in a shallow bowl, pour over the marinade and toss well to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and pour the marinade into a jug.
- Pierce the pieces of marinated chicken on to metal or wooden skewers.
- Cook the kebabs on the barbecue or on a grill, turning regularly and basting with the leftover marinade in the jug.